Opposition claims marine parks gutted by new management plans


Management plans for 44 Marine Parks have been released by the Minister for the Environment and Heritage, Josh Frydenberg, and placed on the Parks Australia website.

The plans, due to commence on July 1 this year, cover more than 3.3 million hectares, the second largest area of marine protection in the world.

The new plans have been attacked by the Shadow Environment Minister Tony Burke, who claims they will remove more area from conservation than any decision by any government anywhere in the world.

“The Government’s own handpicked panel had recommended a series of changes which reduced the environmental outcome of the original marine reserves.

“Josh Frydenberg has looked at those changes and determined that even they didn’t go far enough and has decided to take even more areas out of environmental protection”, Mr Burke said.

“He has also attacked recreational fishing by taking an area which had been the largest recreational fishing-only zone in the world and opened it up in full to commercial operators. The commercial operators include longliners, purse seine fishing and mid-water trawling which is the same method of fishing used by the super trawler. Mr Burke said the worst area affected is the Coral Sea.

“Per seine, longlining and mid-water trawling (the same method used by the super trawler) are all now allowed across the Coral Sea with a clear uninterrupted path from North to South.”

The Management Plans are available here

All Rights Reserved.  Nautilus Media Group Pty Ltd